College Credit Plus

College Credit Plus

What is College Credit Plus?

The following is meant only as an overview to begin to educate and inform students and families regarding the College Credit Plus program.     All students/parents who wish to participate must follow all guidelines and requirements, including attending an in-person counseling session offered twice each school year.  

 Additional questions should be directed to Carrie Ward, CCP Coordinator, at [email protected]

For more information from the State of Ohio about the guidelines for College Credit Plus, please visit the CCP Portal on the

Ohio Higher Ed website


What is College Credit Plus?

Information below provided by


College Credit Plus is Ohio’s dual enrollment program that provides students in grades 7-12 the opportunity to earn college and high school credits at the same time by taking courses from Ohio colleges or universities. The purpose of this program is to enhance students’ career readiness and postsecondary success, while providing a wide variety of options to college-ready students, at no or limited costs to students and families.  Tuition and course material costs are covered under CCP.  Transportation is NOT provided nor is any reimbursement or voucher for transportation offered by the district.  Parents must provide or make arrangements for transportation to the higher education institution of choice, or the student may drive to the higher education institution if a licensed driver.      

Who is eligible for CCP?

--Students who wish to participate must complete an intent to participate form by April 1st of the school year prior to participation and attend a counseling session in the prior year, in order to be eligible for the program. Details below:

--If you are an Ohio student in grades 7-12 you can apply for College Credit Plus admission to any Ohio public or participating private college. The college will determine your eligibility and admit you based on your college-readiness in one or more subject areas. Eligibility may be based on assessment exam scores such as ACT, SAT, Accuplacer, etc. After a student applies to a college, the college/university will notify the student about requirements for participation.

--Students must submit a written notice[1] of their intent to participate in the upcoming academic year, by April first, in accordance with section 3365.03 of the Revised Code, but may submit the written notice of intent to participate as early as February fifteenth. Students desiring to participate in college credit plus in the summer are strongly encouraged to submit letters of intent and begin the admissions process starting in February and prior to the April first notice of intent deadline in order to improve chances of meeting summer registration timelines."

--Appeals when missing the April 1 deadline: If a student misses the deadline, the student can seek consent from the principal to participate. If the principal does not provide written consent, the student may appeal the principal’s decision to the governing entity or the superintendent of the school. The decision of the district superintendent or governing entity shall be final. See Ohio Revised Code 3365.03 for the exact timeline of appeals, decisions, and notifications. 

***All students/parents who wish to participate must follow all guidelines

and requirements, including attending an in-person counseling session offered twice each school year, once in the fall and once in second semester but prior to April 1st deadline for intent to participate

[1] This written notice is the Intent to Participate form. For nonpublic & homeschooled students, the written notice must be provided to the Ohio Department of Education as part of the funding application.


Your College Credit Plus Coordinator is Carrie Ward, and her office is located in Vinton County High School. She can be reached by phone, 740-596-5258 or email at [email protected] 

She can help you understand your options, deadlines, and how to proceed. 

What are the benefits of CCP?

College Credit Plus provides more options for you to pursue rigorous academic coursework beyond the high school classroom. Under College Credit Plus, you can complete college courses toward a degree or certificate, or explore college content that interests you. Earning college credits while you’re in high school can reduce the time and cost of attending college after high school.

What does dual enrollment mean?

CCP allows the student to receive both college and high school credit, and in some cases, to replace high school courses  with college courses to meet high school graduation requirements. High school credit awarded for courses successfully completed under College Credit Plus will appear on your high school transcript. Courses successfully completed under College Credit Plus must be listed by course title on the high school transcript. All College Credit Plus courses will be computed into the GPA using the same scale as Advanced Placement or honors courses in your district, based on the common subject area - not curriculum -  of the weighted advanced standing class/course. Thanks to Ohio’s Transfer to Degree Guarantee, many entry-level courses earned at an Ohio public college are guaranteed to transfer to any other Ohio public college. ( Those that you want to transfer to an out-of-state institution, will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the institution you are seeking to attend. )

What happens if I fail a CCP course?

Classes failed or withdrawn with an “F” (or equivalent failing grade) will receive an “F” on the high school and college transcripts and will be computed into the high school and college GPA. If you do not receive a passing grade, the district may, in some instances, seek reimbursement from you for the amount of state funds paid to the college on your behalf for that college course. The school district may withhold grades and credits received for high school courses taken until reimbursement has been made. If a student fails a course that was intended to meet a high school graduation requirement, the student is still responsible for completing the appropriate coursework as a high school course, with a passing grade.

Underperforming Students Policy

Student Expulsion

A public high school can adopt a policy to deny high school credit for courses taken under CCP when a student is expelled from the high school. In addition, colleges can determine if they will withdraw its acceptance of the expelled student. Refer to ORC 3365.032 for details including notices, payments, and refunds.

CCP Probation and CCP Dismissal 

The following information outlines the CCP Probation and CCP Dismissal rules, set forth in Ohio Administrative Code 3333-1-65.13

The rule defines an “underperforming student” as a student who has earned lower than a cumulative 2.0 GPA in College Credit Plus courses OR who has withdrawn from, or receives no credit[1] for, two or more courses in the same term. If a student meets either of these criteria, the secondary school must place the student on College Credit Plus Probation. 

[1]  “No credit” under this rule has been interpreted to mean a transcript entry of W, NC, or equivalent.

While on CCP Probation, the student may enroll in one College Credit Plus course and may not enroll in the college course in the same subject in which student previously earned D or F or received no credit. The student has one term on CCP Probation to improve his or her GPA to a 2.0 or higher. If the GPA improves, the secondary school must lift the CCP Probation. However, if the student’s GPA does not reach a 2.0 after the probation term, the student shall be placed on College Credit Plus Dismissal. 

While on CCP Dismissal, the student may not take any College Credit Plus courses. After one college term on dismissal, the student may request the secondary school to allow student to participate. Secondary school shall determine whether the student’s status is dismissal, probation, or if they may participate without restrictions per the school’s adopted policy.

A student who has been dismissed from the CCP program may appeal the dismissal. A student on CCP Probation may also appeal his or her ability to take a course in the same subject. Extenuating circumstances shall be considered, separate from academic performance. As a result of the appeal, the school may:

  1. Allow the student to participate without restrictions;

  2. Allow the student to take a course in the same subject in which he or she received a D, F, or no credit;

  3. Allow the student to participate on CCP Probation;

  4. Maintain the dismissal.

 The student must appeal within five business days from notification of dismissal or probation.

VCLSD CCP Probation Appeals Policy: 

The College Credit Plus Dismissal Appeals policy for Vinton County Local School District is based on the requirements of Ohio Administrative Code 3333-1-65.13. Students who have been placed on CCP Dismissal or who have been placed on CCP Probation that prohibits the student from taking a course in the same subject and wish to appeal must notify the district superintendent within five business days after being notified of the CCP Dismissal or CCP Probation status. The district will notify the college or university in which a student is enrolled that the student has requested an appeal. The district superintendent will issue a decision on the student’s appeal within ten business days after the date of the appeal is made. The decision of the superintendent is final. To request an appeal, a student must provide a written explanation of why the student should be 1) removed from CCP Dismissal or 2) permitted to take a course in the same subject while on CCP Probation. The district superintendent will review the written explanation and will consider the following possible activities that a student has taken:  Completion of high school courses with an established grade point average.  Completion of tutoring, extra course assistance, as available.  Development of an individual pathway plan that includes high school graduation requirements and possible college courses. The district superintendent has the discretion to allow a student to participate in the program if the student meets other factors to demonstrate readiness. Note: The CCP Probation and CCP Dismissal policy (OAC 3333-1-65.13) does not alter, supersede, or affect any college policy or procedure on academic probation or dismissal through the college. Students wishing to appeal the college’s policy must do so by following the college’s procedures. 

What are the academic and social responsibilities involved in being a CCP student?

You will be expected to follow the rules and regulations set by the college/university. You will also be expected to follow the rules and regulations set for high school students detailed in the student handbook. Once enrolled, you are eligible to receive advising from campus-based support services of that institution. Additionally, you will continue to have access to your school counselor and all other resources available to high school students. Participation in College Credit Plus does not guarantee you admission to college after high school. You should follow the regular undergraduate application process for whatever college you plan to attend after high school. 

PLEASE NOTE:  The subject matter of a course enrolled in under the college credit plus program may include mature subject matter or materials, including those of a graphic, explicit, violent, or sexual nature, that will not be modified based upon college credit plus enrollee participation regardless of where course instruction occurs.

Parents/Guardians: If you have concerns about the potential subject matter of the course, please discuss with the CCP Coordinator and the College Advisor to determine whether the course is appropriate for your student.  Furthermore, it is the responsibility of the student to approach the instructor at the beginning of the course,  and after reviewing the course syllabus outlining all responsibilities and deadlines, with any potential concerns, scheduling conflicts, special circumstances, etc. The course instructor is responsible for all special arrangements and the grading policies and procedures, not VCLSD or the CCP Coordinator.  College Instructors employed by higher education institutions are independent of VCLSD and students must deal directly with them to meet course requirements. See FERPA law below

***FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their own student’s education records. These rights transfer to the student when she/he reaches the age of 18 OR ATTENDS A SCHOOL BEYOND THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. This means that CCP student grades and comments on student progress for college level courses will be shared only with the student unless the student waives his/her FERPA rights orally to a college officer or in writing. 

Who pays for CCP?

  • The State of Ohio provides funds through the state operating budget for students to participate in College Credit Plus. CCP students from public secondary schools who attend a public college are not required to pay for college course tuition, instructional tools, fees, or supplies. Nonpublic students must apply for funding in order to receive state funded College Credit Plus course tuition. Homeschool students are responsible for providing their own coursework materials ("textbooks"), but may apply for state funding for tuition. For more information, visit this page on the ODE website.

  • Secondary (public and non-public) schools are responsible for providing coursework materials ("textbooks") for their CCP students. The postsecondary institution must waive fees for these students and is also responsible for providing supplemental supplies required by the course syllabus. 

  • Students choosing to attend a private college may be charged a limited amount by that college, depending on where the course is delivered, and in accordance with state law. (Reference ORC 3365.07) Students who are economically disadvantaged may not have to pay costs to attend a private college. Please talk with your school counselor for details.

  • A school district or nonpublic school may seek reimbursement from students/families under the following two circumstances: 1) If the student receives a failing grade at the end of the college course; or 2) If the student withdraws from the college course after the 14th calendar day after the particular course began, unless the student is identified as being economically disadvantaged in accordance with Ohio Administrative Code 3333-1-65.6(B)(2).

Additional Information about participation options for CCP:

Student participation options:

(a) Secondary schools cannot limit a student’s participation in the college credit plus program to only the courses offered in that school and students may also participate on-line or at any other participating institution of higher education, or any combination thereof.

(b) Participating students may be concurrently enrolled in multiple postsecondary institutions and may take postsecondary courses from more than one institution of higher education, concurrently.

(c) Some courses can be offered at the secondary school through an agreement with an institution of higher education. Currently VCHS offers Spanish courses with the option to be taken for both high school and college credit, while also fulfilling foreign language requirements for an Honors Diploma. 

(d) Students should review the course catalog of an institution of higher education for a full listing of course offerings by the institution. All participating institutions will provide a complete list of Level I courses that are eligible for the first 15 hours of college and high school credit under the CCP dual enrollment program. Your CCP coordinator can help you determine appropriate Level I courses and how they correlate  with meeting high school graduation requirements. 

(e) Students have the  option to participate in the college credit plus program in  many formats- at the high school-if applicable-, online, or at an institution of higher education. Schedule a counseling session with your college advisor AND the CCP coordinator to determine what options are available to you for any given term. 

(f) Students have the opportunity to participate during the summer term as long as they have completed the intent to participate by April Ist the semester prior to summer courses and fulfilled the counseling requirement. The 30 hour count for the following school year resets every summer, so all summer courses will impact the upcoming school year in terms of hour limits. 

***Please see the high school CCP Coordinator Carrie Ward to discuss how Summer courses will impact course allowances for the following school year. Also please be aware that there are minimum requirements each semester in terms of course load to be eligible for extracurriculars.  

When a student participating in a summer term transfers to a new secondary school, it is the responsibility of the student to notify the institution of higher education and the student’s prior and new secondary school of such transfer.

Approximate Deadlines:

Vinton County Local Schools would like students to follow these guidelines for scheduling, although each institution of higher education has their own deadlines for registration, adds/drops, etc. Please see the CCP Coordinator Carrie Ward with questions regarding registration information and no-fault withdrawal deadlines for each institution/ each semester. 

***Please schedule an advising meeting with both CCP Coordinator and College Representative to register for courses.  

Register for Summer Courses by May 15th (or 14 days prior to start of semester)

Register for Fall Courses by Aug. 1 (or 14 days prior to start of semester)

Register for Spring Courses by Dec. 15th (or 14 days prior to start of semester)

Students should apply to the institution of higher education at least two weeks prior to the registration deadline to ensure all paperwork is processed before they schedule an advising session to enroll in courses. Applications are to be completed and turned in to the CCP Coordinator Carrie Ward for processing, and no application will be processed without Intent to participate form and Counseling completion requirements being met. Students can apply to the higher education institution at any time, but if a student goes two consecutive semesters without enrolling in a course, then a new application must be submitted. 

What colleges may I attend for CCP?

  • Public Colleges & Universities: All Ohio public colleges and universities participate in College Credit Plus. An interactive map showing all Ohio public colleges can be found here

  • Independent Colleges & Universities: A list of independent colleges in Ohio, along with applicable CCP webpages is available here.  State prohibits charging economically disadvantaged students who choose to attend a nonpublic institution of higher education.

Who does Vinton County Local Schools partner with for CCP?

The following institutions of higher education partner with Vinton County Schools and follow state guidelines regarding CCP participation. They all offer support services and individualized academic counseling to high school CCP students. Please see the CCP Coordinator at the high school or a guidance counselor at the VCMS or VCHS for additional assistance in connecting with area colleges regarding CCP. 

Rio Grande CCP website: 

Ohio University CCP website

Hocking College CCP website

How many and what kind of CCP courses can I take ?

Students can earn up to 30 credits per year, which also includes high school only credits or middle school courses. The 30-credit annual maximum includes summer semester, which is considered the beginning of the academic year. A maximum of 120 college credits can be earned throughout the entire program.

To determine the maximum number of credit hours for which a student can register each academic year under College Credit Plus, secondary schools (including middle schools) must calculate credits by subtracting the high school only course credits within this formula:


(Do not include college courses that are taught at the high school location in the “high school only” portion of the formula. )

Secondary schools must notify the student of the maximum number of credit hours prior to registration . Additionally, secondary schools must review all college enrollment information to determine if the student has registered for more than the 30 hours. Colleges and universities must provide a “pre-term notice” to the secondary schools that will indicate all courses for which a student from the secondary school has registered. This pre-term notice is due to the secondary schools 14 days prior to the start of the college’s semester. 

If the student has exceeded the maximum, the school must notify the student of the issue. The student has the option to either drop a college course or self-pay for the course to comply (OAC 3333-1-65.2).

Note: If a course exceeds the limit, and the student opts to self-pay, the entire course is self-pay at the college or university’s standard rate of tuition, fees, and textbooks.

    Courses Allowed under Level 1 First Fifteen Requirement: 

Level 1 courses are eligible for CCP students for their first 15 hours of college coursework in the program. All institutions of higher education can provide information about the Ohio Transfer Module (OTM) which are courses that are guaranteed to transfer to an Ohio public college or university. All OTM courses are considered Level I. Ohio is continually expanding offerings that are eligible as Level I courses. Your CCP Coordinator and college representatives will assist you in determining any course work eligibility. In addition, several Model Pathways are available in print from the CCP CoordinatorCollege 

*Credit Plus students must start with Level I courses for their First 15 credits. • Transferable courses (Approved CTAG, OTM, TAG, or equivalent at private college or university) • Courses in computer science, information technology, anatomy, physiology, or foreign language, including American Sign Language • Courses in a designated technical certificate program • Courses in 15-credit hour or 30-credit hour model pathways • Courses in study skills, academic or career success skills • Internship courses

Once students have completed their First 15 credits, they can move on to Level II courses. • Level II courses are any other college courses for which students meet the prerequisites. • Students are encouraged to continue working toward the certificate or degree pathways started in Level I. 

How do CCP courses count towards my GPA and transcript?

Credit Conversion Policy

Secondary schools shall use the following conversion for a postsecondary course completed by a student participant under CCP to determine the amount of high school credit earned through participation in the program:

(a) A College Credit Plus course with three or more semester credit hours shall count as one full high school unit.

(b) A College Credit Plus course with less than three semester hours shall count as the proportional fraction of a high school unit.


Awarding Credit

Final Grade on Transcript

College Credit Plus courses are college courses; therefore, the final grade earned by the student in the course is the grade that will be recorded on the college transcript and the high school transcript. The grade must be the same regardless of whether the college and the secondary school grading scales match. The college grade is the final grade, and students must be graded based on the college’s grading scale.

Course Substitutions

High school credit awarded for courses successfully completed under CCP shall count toward the graduation requirements and subject area requirements of the public secondary school or participating nonpublic secondary school. If a course comparable to one a participant completed at a college is offered by the school, the governing entity or governing body shall award comparable credit for the course completed at the college. If no comparable course is offered by the school, the governing entity or governing body shall grant an appropriate number of elective credits to the participant.

***For more information on high school course substitutions with CCP course work, Click Here

Credit Dispute Appeal

If there is a dispute between a participant's school and a participant regarding high school credits granted for a course, the participant may appeal the decision to the Ohio Department of Education (ORC 3365.12). The decision regarding any high school credits granted under this section is final.

College Course on High School Transcript

Evidence of successful completion of each course and the high school credits awarded by the school shall be included in the student's record. The record shall indicate that the credits were earned as a participant under this chapter and shall include the name of the college at which the credits were earned (ORC 3365.12).

Non-passing Grades or Withdrawals

Students earn letter grades for the CCP courses (e.g., A, B, C, D, and F). For students who do not pass a CCP course or withdraw from the course after the college’s required “no fault” date, the grade will appear on both the college and high school transcripts (i.e., F or W). The course grade of “F” will be computed into the high school and college grade point average (GPA).

When students fail a class, the student will receive an “F” on both the high school and college transcripts. The course grade of “F” will be computed into the high school and college grade point averages (GPA). The public secondary school district will still be responsible for payment of the course but has the option of seeking reimbursement for state funds paid to the college on behalf of the student for that class (unless the student is considered economically disadvantaged). The school district may withhold grades and credits received for the course until reimbursement has been made (ORC 3365.09).

The chief administrator of a nonpublic school district in which a participant is enrolled may seek reimbursement from the participant/parent for state funds paid to the college on behalf of the participant. Upon receipt of the funds, the administrator must send the amount to the Ohio Department of Education to reimburse the state for the cost of the course (ORC 3365.09).

Refer to the “College Credit Plus: Guidance for Grades & Tuition” document for scenarios of students related to withdrawal or failure of courses 

Weighting of Grades

VCLSD does not use a weighted grade system. 

Economically Disadvantaged Student Identification

Ohio Administrative Code 3333-1-65.2 No student considered economically disadvantaged shall be charged for anything related to CCP participation. Identifying students who are economically disadvantaged:

(a) A student shall be considered economically disadvantaged for the purpose of CCP participation if the student is either of the following:

(i) A member of a household that meets the income eligibility guidelines for free or reduced-price meals, less than or equal to one hundred eighty-five per cent of federal poverty guidelines under the provisions of the National School Lunch Act, 42 U.S.C. 1758, effective date January 7, 2011;

(ii) A member of a household that participates in at least one of the following programs:

(a) Medicaid;

(b) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP);

(c) Supplementary Security Income (SSI);

(d) Federal public housing assistance or Section 8 (a federal housing assistance program administered by the department of housing and urban development);

(e) Low-income home energy assistance program.

(b) A student whose siblings attend a school that has established that the student's family income is at or below the criteria described in this rule, shall be considered economically disadvantaged for purposes of this chapter without the student's secondary school or district collecting its own data on that family.

Coursework Pathways

  • All colleges provide suggested course selections in the form of Pathways. College Credit Plus Pathways are a set of courses that either total 15 or 30 hours and that can be organized by a major or career path to include various courses required for a degree or professional certification. CCP participants are not required to follow any specific Pathway or take the courses listed. They are only provided as an example to assist planning of course schedules and meeting student goals. 

  • ***Please always consult your secondary counselor prior to registering for college courses to ensure that the appropriate high school requirements will be met. 

Below are some Pathways from area colleges for CCP students. This is not all the Pathways- ask the CCP Coordinator or college representative about additional Pathway options.  Print copies of all Pathways are available upon request.

Additional Information for Students and Families can be found on the  

Ohio Higher Ed website


View text-based website